You have a Folkboat, a boat everybody knows and loves, you extend the coachroof and the cockpit, put an inboard diesel in to it, apply modern rigging and then you get a Brandt-Moller (BM) FAMILY. A Folkboat but with a lot of room and comfort for the whole family combined with a greater ease of sailing.
BM Family is the name of the boat which had many an old Folkboat sailor “spluttering into his beer” ! It is a new boat which is made by using the Folkboat hull, extending and heightening the roof, putting modern rigging with roller furling headsail and in this case a roller furling main, moving the cockpit aft and then an inboard motor, a marine loo and other modern conveniences into it.
Per Brandt-Moller is the second generation of a family that has been building Folkboats for the past 60 years. So if anyone knows the characteristics and possibilities of the Folkboat it is him.
Dyed in the wool Folkboat sailors tested the boat and reported: There is good sense in making a boat like the BM Family, when one wants to cruise and not race. The inboard engine is a joy in harbours and calm weather.
“As a cruising boat the BM Family is excellent,” “The form of the hull and the long keel have the effect that the boat manages very well in heavy weather and the whole family can feel safe.”
RCD Status: Our understanding is that the yacht is exempt from the essential safety requirements of the Recreational Craft Directive as she was built and placed into use within the EU prior to 1998.
Hull, Deck & Superstructure Construction:
- GRP hull.
- Varnished and painted mahogany super structure.
- Teak laid decks on ply sub deck.
Keel & Rudder:
- Long keel.
- GRP Keel hung rudder with varnished tiller.
- 1 x Yanmar 1GM10 9hp.
- Inboard engine new 2016 (Full servive July 2020).
- Water lock.
- Syphon break.
- Volvo stern seal.
- Water intake hose.
- Exhaust hose.
- Engine mounting hardware kit.
- Hose clamps.
- Fuel hose.
Propulsion & Steering:
- Tiller steered to keel hung rudder.
Fresh Water System:
- Foot pump at galley sink.
- Manual in cockpit from deep bilge.
- 1 x Stainless fuel tank 40L.
- 1 x Moulded poly water tank in bow.
- Plastimo bulkhead Compass.
- Raymarine (tac tic) wireless speed and depth sounder (2019).
- Raymarine tiller pilot autohelm (2019).
- DSC VHF 2018 Icom.
- Nav. Lights: steaming, integrated masthead tri colour and anchor light (2016).
- Deck flood light on mast
- 2 burner Origo cooker.
- Stainless sink.
- 12v Top loading fridge (compressor replaced 2015).
- Manual water pump.
Heating & Ventilation:
- 12v deck head and reading lights.
Summary of Accommodation:
- 4 berths in 2 cabins.
- 1 x Standard forepeak double V berth
- 2 x Separate bunks in Saloon back rests double as lee boards.
- Buff Alcantara cushions and covers (new 2019).
Rig & Sails:
- 7/8ths fractional rigged aluminium mast.
- Single set of spreaders from ‘John Mast’ stepped on the cabin roof.
- Pro Furl Roller furling headsail.
- Mainsail set on removable Facnor roller furling gear.
- Spare conventional main sail.
- North Spinnaker and pole.
- Sanders furling jib (New 2020) in DP 280 AP Dacron, luff to suit furling system, sunstrip, leech line, tell tales + sail bag.
- 2 x Andersen Primaries 12ST
- 2 x Andersen single speed central lines.
Anchoring & Mooring Equipment:
- Danforth on 10m chain and warp.
- Companionway sprayhood.
- Sanders breathable winter overall cover (new 2020).